Once you become a mum, you gain the ability to get ready to go out in 5 minutes flat. You might look like you’re already drunk once you’ve finished, but you tried…
You’re going ‘out’.
In fact, you’re going ‘out-out’.
With the festive period looming, there will be many an occasion where us mum’s are required to get ready for a night out, whilst juggling the chaos of work/family/kids at the same time. Gone are the days you could sit in a dressing gown, painting your nails, spend 20 minutes preening your hair and then following a 10 minute makeup tutorial on YouTube. Nowadays, you are lucky to get 5 minutes to slap some stuff on your face without making it look like you’ve let your 5 year old do it for you.
This is where my bloomin’ brilliant blogging mate, Nia, comes in.
Nia is a busy mum. She is also a wife, a dentist, a lovely person and a beauty blogging guru. How she fits it all in I have no idea. She is either Super-woman or fuelling herself with copious amounts of Gin and Caffine. If she is, high five. That’s a diet I’d be proud of.
She has written a guest post for me all about how to get glam in 5 minutes.
You’ll be guaranteed to turn up to your night out looking fantastic.
So, without further ado, let’s hand over to Nia!
Hi, my name is Nia. I have a blog called NiaPattenLooks. I’m a normal mum of two and I write about makeup and skincare. I’m so excited to do this guest post, I feel like LifeIsKnutts readers are my kind of people. Thanks for having me Gemma on your lovely blog.
I’m going to tell you how to get glam real quick. How do you do your makeup when you’ve got 5 minutes to get ready, and a baby is trying to climb up your leg, and a child is requesting assorted snack food (requesting=demanding loudly and repeatedly)? How do you get yourself looking fabulous whilst simultaneously screaming “put your clothes on for the love of God!!!!!” and you’re late for the school run?
It is possible. I make time to get my makeup done nice because it makes me happy and Looking presentable makes me feel better for the rest of the day. Here are a few ideas for streamlining the process-
- Red Lipstick and Beaucoup Mascara– This really does take no time at all. Red lipstick gives immediate classical glamour. You don’t need much other makeup to go with it either, simple is better, just apply mascara to open the eyes and you’re done.In this photo I used Nudestix Intense Matte Lip and Cheek Pencil. The only downside to red lipstick is its capability of getting all over the shop. You could try a liquid lipstick, Stila Stay all Day Liquid Lipstick in Fiery is my fave.
- Sticks– Not like twigs. I mean eyeshadow, blusher and highlighter sticks. You can get foundation sticks too. These make makeup application dead quick because you apply straight from the stick then blend with fingers. No need for brushes, just scribble them on and give it a little rub. I love Kiko Eyeshadow Sticks, they come in loads of wearable colours and last really well.
- Double Duty– My favourite makeup hack, and one I use myself when I’m in a mega rush, is using lipstick as blusher. Before applying foundation, pick a nice pink lipstick (Soap and Glory Sexy Mother Pucker in Pommie Girl is a favourite of mine) and scribble onto the apples of the cheek (the fattest bit when you’re smiling). Blend with fingertips a bit, then put your base on. Use the same lipstick on your lips. It gives a natural glow. You could also use blusher as eyeshadow or eyeliner as lipstick, but you’d look bonkers.
- Streamline your operation– My getting ready area is a complete state, but I have the things I always use laid out by the mirror for quick trowel-onability. Multifunctional palettes are a another good way to keep things quick, less scrabbling about. Like this Freedom Glam Dolls palette It has blusher, bronzer, highlight, eyeshadow, lipstick, brow powder and lipstick. And it only cost £8.
- Pick your battles– I only attempt winged liquid eyeliner when I have a chunk of peaceful (i.e. Child free) time on my hands. But I always do my brows. Concentrate your efforts where they’re needed. Good mascara and brows make all the difference, the eyes are the focal point of the face.
- Makeup Gun– This isn’t real
I don’t know about you, but being nicely made up makes me feel a lot better. It also gives other people the illusion that you’re well rested and in control. My top tip!
I hope you have enjoyed my tips. Please come and check out my site for more beauty fun NiaPattenLooks
Thanks so much for these wonderful tips and time saving hacks Nia.
I’m sure I’ll still manage to make myself look like a clown, but I am certainly going to give this a go!
You can follow Nia on these Social Media channels.
She is also super lovely and would answer any makeup and beauty questions you have happily so ping her a facebook message and ask away!