Get your Bake On – Poo Emoji Meringues!
No, fear not friends, I’ve not encountered the alleyway poop lady again.
If you’ve no idea what I’m jibbering about, quite normal, here is a link to the post that I’m on about to explain all…I’d advise reading it after you’ve eaten).
So…anyhoodlums, today’s “Get your bake on” recipe is…
Poo Emoji Meringues
Officially, probably, the only time you’ll ever want to eat a turd….
The kids thought these were great and, as a lovely friend said to me, they appeal to all their senses! What kids wouldn’t find eating a poo emoji funny?!
Ideal as a quirky addition to any school bake sale, these little dudes would be sure to fly off the table like sh*t off a shovel!
100g Caster Sugar
2 Large Egg Whites
1 large tablespoon of sifted cocoa powder
Brown food colouring (optional, but makes the ‘Poops’ more brown in colour than just the cocoa alone)
White writing Icing
Black Writing Icing
*Makes about 8 fairly large, cupcake sized, poops. You could also make more smaller ones, or one ENORMOUS one*
The world is your…poop?!
- Pre-heat your oven to 100’c – low and slow is the name of the game here…
- Get a large baking tray and some greaseproof paper/baking parchment
- Using a pencil and something small and round (I used a mini roll of cellotape), draw circles onto your baking parchment, leaving gaps of 1 inch between them.
- Once the circles are drawn on your paper, turn the paper over so the pencil won’t be touching the mixture but so that you can still see the markings.
- Separate your eggs and place the whites into your clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Beat the egg whites for several minutes with an electric whisk, or in a mixer, until they are thick and hold firm peaks when you raise the beaters.
- Keep beating, gradually adding the caster sugar and then the cocoa powder a tablespoon at a time, until it is thoroughly incorporated and you have a very thick, glossy meringue.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag, I used disposable ones. You don’t need a piping tip for this recipe if you’re using disposable bags. If you’re using re-useable ones, a large, circular piping tip is best for these. Another tip here is to roll the top of your piping bag over a pint glass so it doesn’t move or get too messy when filling it up.
- Pipe in a circular motion to make your poo emoji shapes, think whippy ice cream and finish with a peak at the top. Try to keep them essentially the same size.
- Place in the oven and bake for three hours, then remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
- Once cool, pipe the whites of the poo emojis eyes onto your meringues.
- Then do a small, happy mouth. Almost a boomerang shape. Leave to dry a little.
- Once the white icing has dried a little, add the black pupils onto the eyes.
- And, you’re done! Poo Emoji Meringues!
- When storing, keep in an airtight container for a few days. Airtight is important, or they will start to soften, and nobody wants a squidgy poop…
Do share your attemps at these Poo Emoji Meringues with me on my facebook page or over on Instagram by tagging me in your photos! I love seeing what you’ve all made!